Date:      Sat, 08 Nov 1997 21:13:34 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jonathan Mini <mini@d198-232.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: x86 gods; advice? Suggestions?

> I was hoping to avoid that solution. This is an implementation for a library.
> It all falls down to one this : the vm86 arena has to be in the 0-1M memory
> range. If I'm implementing a library for this, I can't really do that. Hence
> I have to create a new context that I can destroy in order to set up the
> vm86 arena.

Two possible solutions; use a coprocess running the vm86 thread as a
sort of "graphics processor" (involves a context switch between
operations, but you could stack them), or wait for the vm86 sysarch()
stuff that comes with the vm86 stuff I am working on.  (Kernel entry
and two context switches per call.)

Initially you can only run a single interrupt and have no way of
providing any other data, but we can probably come up with something
much more efficient (eg. mmap of a section of the vm86 address space).

Once the initial code is in place, I'll be taking suggestions.  8)

mike