Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 14:38:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   snmp for FreeBSD...

Hi...

	This past weekend, the University of California @ Davis put
out v3.1 of their snmp package.  The "port" list included netbsd1, so
I figured that it couldn't be too hard to get it working under freebsd.

	I downloaded it, and spent a few productive hours getting it
compiled under FreeBSD 2.1 & submitting patches so that it compiles
"out of the box" (or at least easier) with the next release.

	The package includes an snmp agent (snmpd) that runs and allows
you to pass queries to it, and is supposedly highly extensible (ie. we
could *probably* setup conf's to do sysctl commands via snmp?)

	What would it take to get the agent and the support programs
included in FreeBSD 2.2, working towards snmp manageablililty?  I'm
willing to work at maintaining it and keeping it up to date, but I
think something like this should be "integrated into" the Operating
System, not an extra...

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org