Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 05:19:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.dev.nanoteq.co.za>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS sound drivers and 4.0-current

Thanks for the patch;  I'll try it.  I have the ESS 1868 isa card.  The
problem I'm having isn't really volume problems.  When I use RealPlayer
5.0, certain realaudio clips play through extremely fast, and I can hear
the sound in bursts along the way.  The speed/sample rate itself doesn't
increase, but the entire clip whizzes by extremely fast, and I hear
short bursts of the clip.  Maybe the clip isn't being memory mapped
properly?

I also get messages like this via syslogd:

Oct 31 08:49:06  /kernel: WARNING: driver snd should register devices with
make_
dev() (dev_t = "#snd/6")
Oct 31 10:21:40  /kernel: WARNING: driver snd should register devices with
make_
dev() (dev_t = "#snd/6")
Nov  1 03:00:22  /kernel: WARNING: driver snd should register devices with
make_
dev() (dev_t = "#snd/19")

Maybe this has something to do with it?

- Donn