Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:08:43 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        hawkeyd@visi.com, ob1@yifan.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I bought your system and am not so happy!

On Monday 04 March 2002 09:48 pm, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> In article <20020305022609.8E7EA37B400_hub.freebsd.org@ns.sol.net>,
>
> 	ob1@yifan.net writes:
> > I bought your system and I am pretty happy.
> >
> > I'll start w/ my question first then talk about my transition / install
> > experience (experience is probably a m$ trademark by now)
> >
> > Having succesfully installed 4.4 from the powerpack I'm curious whether I
> > should just get ahold of 4.5 and re-install before I get to far. I am
> > really fond of kde2 and seem to remember reading that this is not in the
> > 4.5 dist. is this true or am I just misinformed?
>
> I can't answer this directly, but if so, the ports collections may have it
> for you. Read up on installing and updating the ports collection on your
> machine, and post another question after that if it still isn't clear.
>
> I don't think there's anything vis-a-vis 4.4 and 4.5 toi prevent KDE2 from
> running on your box, but I may be wrong.

4.5 omitted some of the "non-essential" KDE2 packages by accident.

(It bumped them from disk1 on purpose but accidentally failed to include them
on disk 3.)

The packges can be installed over the network and they should build from
ports.

This is hypothetical, though -- given both a number of people reporting
crashes on 4.5-RELEASE (being actively discussed here) and the KDE2 problems
I've decided to leave my system in its current state.  Owing to various
hardware and non-FreeBSD issues I've re-installed my O/S three times in the
past few months anyway and would just as soon get back to the important stuff
like reading spam and downloading porn anyway :-)

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org