Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:56:27 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Group problems

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 08:21:49AM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> writes:
>
> > Hmm, didn't know that. Why, though? reboot(8) can't be run as a
> > normal user and the only difference I can see between the two is
> > that shutdown(8) broadcasts a "System going down" warning. Is this
> > just an historical thing or is there a more subtle reason?
>
> shutdown has several extra features: it allows you to schedule the
> reboot for a point in the future, it writes those warnings to users'
> terminals, and it tries to get init to shut down other processes before
> it actually stops it.  The last one is a good enough reason to *always*
> use shutdown in multiuser mode unless you have a good reason not to.

I realize that, but ``shutdown -r now'' is just as final (and
instantaneous) as ``reboot'' yet mere mortals are permitted to use
it (assuming they are members of the group wheel). Surely, from a
security point of view, only one user (root) should be able to
halt/reboot a machine; or are all members of wheel supposed to be
intelligent, considerate (towards other users) individuals?

> Be well.

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.