Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:52:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bruce Petro <bpetro@usa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Attaching to new Cable Modem

Any one have some help for this?  I don't see a
section in gregg's book on this (though mine
might be an old ver)- I mostly see serial info.

This is new (Time Warner's road runner) and according
to the setup appears to be not a serial conn at all.
(the cable modem that is).

You reach the CM via a nic, the windows directions that
come with it show you set up the nic with no IP address
you go out to DHCP to get your address.  You set
no DNS (evidently gets negotiated via DHCP), no
gateways, no WINS, etc ...

How would this get configured?

If anyone can help with the above, that's where
I believe I must start, just in case, however
let me describe the big picture after this step...
All of above, I guess is step 1, then I gotta add a
second nic with an internal IP and THEN I'll have
a nice internal network, with the FreeBSD
handling all the external for my machines (well,
once I set BSD up to do the proxy or masc. stuff
anyway).  Its my impression I must go with dual
nics since otherwise the address given my BSD
machine will change constantly and internal
machines would not know how to contact
it - correct?

Thanks,
Bruce.