Date:      Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:02:24 -0700
From:      "Joesh Juphland" <part_lion@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems installing on scsi disks ?

Vanilla x86 system with two identical scsi disks attached to a single 2940.
Installation is flawless - in custom install, I choose da0 and then da1, one
after the other, to partition.  Again, I say, installation goes flawlessly.

When the system boots though, it cannot get past the boot manager.  I wait
for it to time out and go to the default option, but it just beeps.  Any
attempt to hit enter, or f1, or f5, yields another beep.  It will not boot.

So, over five successive reloads, I have tried bootloader on da0, nothing on
da1, bootloader on both, normal loader on da0, nothing on da1, and normal
loader on both.  No matter what combo I try with these two, it will not boot
when I partition and label these two disks.

It just gives me f1 and f5 choices, and hangs forever. (or, when I chose to
put the loader but NOT the boot manager on both disks, it just comes up
saying "missing operating system)

Also there are no silly scsi problems like ID conflict or bios not set to
boot scsi or whatever.  It is set to boot scsi just fine, and we know the
disks, etc. are working since the installation goes without a hitch.

Any ideas why I cannot do a simple install onto very plain hardware and
disks ?

thanks,

Joesh