Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:40:19 -0500
From:      Barry Pederson <bpederson@geocities.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP Initial Sequence Numbers: We need to talk

Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> Its not feasible; he's overlooking several things.  Among them
> are: 1. it is susceptible to replay attacks, 2. the secret is
> per IP, and 3. "having the response go nowhere" is not a valid
> defense, if the attacker can guess it.

1, 2. It's protecting against spoofed SYN floods, the replay attack
would have to be a non-spoofed ACK flood (since the attacker could
probably figure out their own token) --or-- the attacker was also
sniffing your network, could see what was in the outgoing SYN/ACK
packets at least once for each spoofed IP, and then flooded with spoofed
ACKs containing the encrypted token for that particular spoofed address.

3. He's assuming that guessing a 256-bit encryption key would be pretty
tough, which probably would be, even if your machine uptime is many
years so the key doesn't change for a long long time :)  I kind of
wonder though if the tiny amount of data being encrypted would somehow
make a cipher easier to crack.

	Barry