Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 17:22:00 +0100 (BST)
From:      <mac@nibsc.ac.uk>
To:        tfischer@amak.rain.fr (Tom Fischer)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing FreeBSD w/ 3com 3c589c PCMCIA

>Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 13:57:01 +0000
>From: Tom Fischer <tfischer@amak.rain.fr>
>To: questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: installing FreeBSD w/ 3com 3c589c PCMCIA
not copied back to newsgroup

>[Toshiba laptop with 3C589c probes find card but not available in
>[network choices in sysinstall]

Right, I've done this recently with an HP OmniBook 4000CT and 3C589c card.

First off I guess I should say this might get quite involved, so be warned.

Does the card work?  Simple question, but you need to be sure.  Novell, or
some other NOS should be a sufficient test.  Don't just rely on the 3Com
diagnostic tool.

Second do you run it in MS-DOS at all?  If so, do you use 'Card Services'.  This
is a pile of automated stuff that (alegedly) sorts out IRQ lines etc when
running under DOS.  You can fairly easily check this, because the main install
program on the EtherDisk warns you that it can't find card services when it
starts up.

Either way, support for Card Services (PC Card) style configuration is v. patchy
in FBSD at the moment, so we won't use it in this example.  This means you're
going to need to find out the PC-host hardware settings your PCMCIA card has.

Probably the easiset way to do this is boot off a clean DOS floppy (FORMAT a:
/s) so there is definately no Card Services running and run the EtherDisk
again.  Check that you get the 'No Card Services' warning and proceed.  Trundle
into the config program and display Card Info (single scrollable window, no
editable fields) (its about 4 layers into the program).

Make a note of the IRQ, IO Base and Memory segment (number like 0xde000).

If any of these directly conflict with an essential piece of hardware, now's
the time to change them and save the settings.

Exit that and reboot the FBSD install floppy.  Use '-c' of course.

I then recommend visual, but whether you use that or not I'd then suggest the
following.

Turn off _everything_ you don't have, especially ze0

Make sure the zp0 IRQ, IO Base and Memory are correct.  (I had to change the
Memory setting).  The IRQ also conflicted with one from the COM ports, so I
turned all of them off (sio0-3) just to be extra cautious.

Save and quit.

Let the boot go through.  Scroll back and check that zp0 has picked up the
Ethernet Address (00:a0:26:df:90:45 or something like) in the boot messages.
you should then get 'zp0' as a fourth option in the Media selection menus.

Finally, if you want to use the BNC connector on the little adapter thingy
you'll need to give these extra options to ifconfig (both during install and in
/etc/sysconfig)

   -link0  link1

which I've not found documented anywhere, but it turns of the RJ port and
enables the BNC one.  If your connector has ports other than the two I had (RJ
and BNC) then you may have to play around a bit more.  But quite frankly, if
you've got the kernel probe to recognize your card then this is only a minor
problem.

When you want to install X windows there's another couple of silly hoops
to go through, but I'm sure the guys (and gals) out here will help.

Please, please, please let me know how you get on and whether any of this makes
any sense.  The version of the Etherdisk I used was 5.1

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk

                 mac@nibsc.ac.uk  (also postmaster)
 Work: 01707 654753 x 285               Everything else: 0956 237670 (any time)