Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 23:51:33 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        Yoav Cohen-Sivan <ycs@netvision.net.il>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle and Linux

Yoav Cohen-Sivan wrote:

> That would be a big mistake. Flood them with thousands of phoney
> requests, get them to commit megabucks in the Freenix space.

Your presumption is that I advocate making 'phoney' requests.  I said no
such thing.  Although credible claims of demand are always most
effective, simple advocacy is enough; to say that FreeBSD and/or Linux
is in your estimation a worthy platform and that you support Oracle in
these efforts is justified and worthwhile.  Stuff your presumption.

> Then, when
> they release the product, say: "Um, sorry... we just wanted you to port,
> we don't really need it." Having only 50 people buy it, after thousands
> clamored, will reach one goal only: you can bet Oracle will drop out of
> the Freenix scene for the next ten years. Not to mention them telling
> other companies what a waste of resources it was.

Ye of little faith.  Oracle will be overwhelmed with the response.
Don't doubt that.  Of course, I can't really make that promise.  I have
only anecdotal evidence which tells me this is going to be very big.  So
you stick to your position on this and we'll see.

> Let true market forces work. No need to cheat someone into a port, when
> there is no real demand for it, just so we can say: "Look, we have ten
> gazillion apps..."

Market forces _are_ working, no?  Oracle made the decision to take on
this market.  It remains to be seen if they have cheated themselves.  In
the mean time, a bit of hype won't hurt.

> > One administrator who recognizes the potential of Linux is worth
> > several ordinary admins, and one FreeBSD admin is worth at least
> > three or four typical Linux guys. :)
>
> Jordan wrote a really nice editorial for freshmeat.net, about a month
> ago, on this topic. Why do Linux and FreeBSD advocates hate each other
> so much? We are in this together.

See the :) Yoav?  Acknowledge an attempt at humor without getting your
shorts in a tight little bind.  Silence would be my preference.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.