Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 22:21:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Console driver (was: Problems with irq 9(2)?)

In article <rx4lnqc303c.fsf@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com> you wrote:
> > > Well, can it at least be switched off? or should I go stick my head in
> > > a bucket of ice... :)
> > You just dont run vidcontol -m on, thats it ....

> No, I mean, is there any way to use the mouse with a character-
> resolution cursor? e.g. reverse the character it points at, or set the
> background color of that character to red, instead of doing that fancy
> font manipulation.

    the canonical way to do it in DOS mouse drivers was to
    xor the color with 7, i.e., leave brightness/blinking bit untouched
    and just invert the CGA-style color.

    This way, it's guaranteed to be distinct from color of text.
    (black on white -> white on black, yellow on red -> blue on cyan, etc.)

    by the way, while we are talking syscons, Soren, what ever happened
    to my `invert border color in cyrillic mode' and `visual bell by
    blinking border' patches I sent to you in, what, 1996?  Should I dig
    them up and port to 2.2.6??

--
The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men,
but that we will meanwhile agree to meet them halfway.  --Bernard Avishai