Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 10:13:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        chas <panda@peace.com.my>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any cyrus wizards out there ???

> I've just installed cyrus1.5.2 on a clean FreeBSD 2.2.1 box
> for the third* time. Installation and configuration seemed
> to go ok, and imtest worked fine.
> But whenever I log in with the cyradm tool, and try
> to create a mailbox, the command fails. A typical session :
>
> #cyradm xxx.com.my imap
> xxx.com.my userid: chas
> xxx.com.my password:
> xxx.com.my> Apr 19 03:22:14 super imapd[psid]:login: xxx.com.my chas
> plaintext xxx.com.my>lm
> xxx.com.my>cm user.chas
> command failed: permission denied
> xxx.com.my>exit
>
> The user 'chas' is the admin in the /etc/imapd.conf and I have even
> tried chmod'ing 777 on /var/spool and /var/imap, in case it is file
> permissions. No joy whatsoever.
>
> What other permissions could be causing the problems ?

Check the ownership and permissions on the config directory.
That would be the configdirectory entry in the imapd.conf file.
(It's /usr/local/etc/imap on my system.)  That directory and
its contents should belong to the cyrus user.  Here's what
I have:

total 18
drwxr-x---   8 cyrus  cyrus   512 Apr 12 11:48 ./
drwxr-xr-x  10 bin    bin     512 Apr 18 17:09 ../
-rw-------   1 cyrus  mail      0 May 16  1996 delivered.db
drwxrwxr-x   2 cyrus  mail    512 May 12  1996 log/
-rw-------   1 cyrus  cyrus  2306 Apr 12 11:48 mailboxes
drwxr-x---   2 cyrus  cyrus   512 Aug  9  1997 msg/
drwxrwxr-x   2 cyrus  mail   7680 Apr 14 09:03 proc/
drwxrwxr-x   2 cyrus  mail    512 May 12  1996 quota/
drwxr-x---   2 cyrus  cyrus   512 Apr 12 12:03 user/
drwxrwxr-x   2 cyrus  mail    512 May 12  1996 usr/

Also, make sure that your imap daemon is running as user cyrus.

> If worse comes to worse, is it possible to manage cyrus
> without cyradm ?

Of course.  At a minimum, you could telnet to port 143
and do it directly at the IMAP protocol level.  But cyradmin
cleans up the details a lot.  It should also be possible to
directly create the directories and files, and update the
databases.  But that would be even more painfull and error-prone.

-Pat