Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:48:17 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        "security@FreeBSD.ORG" <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help setting up a filewall

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 03:11:32PM -0500, Sam Carleton wrote:
> "Crist J . Clark" wrote:

[snip]

> > > Attached you will find my modifications to the rc.firewall script and
> > > relavent snips of rc.conf.  If you have any thoughts on what I am doing
> > > wrong, please drop me an email.  Thanks!
> >
> > A few nitpicks about your ruleset, but nothing absolutely leaped out
> > at me as a problem that would totally break everything. Since you did
> > not tell us exactly what kind of problem you are having, it's hard to
> > know what to look for.
>
> Well, the problem I am currently having is with DNS.  The test enviornment that I have setup is such that
> there is no DNS server behind the FreeBSD firewall.  The machine inside the firewall is not able to get a
> DNS request out.  To make things more interesting, while booting the FreeBSD firewall, the rc.firewall
> script ALWAYS hangs on the two DNS lines.
>
>  # Allow DNS queries out in the world
>  ${fwcmd} add pass udp from ${iif} to any 53 keep-state
>  ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from ${iif} to any 53 keep-state

You are using interface names where you should be using a hostname or
IP address. It is probably hanging trying to do the DNS lookup on the
hostname 'xl1.' You want,

  ${fwcmd} add pass udp from ${inet}:${imask} to any 53 keep-state
  ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from ${inet}:${imask} to any 53 keep-state

But this is not going to work unless you add a check-state rule. How
about checking right where we do the stateless pass of "established"
connections.

[snip]

> [Ss][Ii][Mm][Pp][Ll][Ee])

[snip]

   # Allow established, dynamic connections
   ${fwcmd} add check-state

>  # Allow TCP through if setup succeeded
>  ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to any established
>
>  # Allow IP fragments to pass through
>  ${fwcmd} add pass all from any to any frag

[snip]