Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 03:03:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        peter@jhome.DIALix.COM
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fvwm2 port conflicts with fvwm

 * Right from day one, the two ports overwrote each other's files, and
 * uninstalling one would leave the other one non-functional.

I took a look, the conflicting files are:

bin/xpmroot
man/man1/*
include/X11/pixmaps/*

Doesn't seem like we can fix this easily.

 * Is there a "preferred" way of saying to not install the two versions
 * at once on the same machine?  (like the different versions of tcl/tk
 * which overwrite include files like /usr/local/include/tk.h etc)

The only thing I can think of is to add a script to warn users before
pkg_add and pkg_delete.  You can use pkg/REQ, which is called from
both (no, praise Jordan for that).  You can even add the following to
the Makefile:

pre-install:
	@/bin/sh ${PKGDIR}/REQ ${PKGNAME} INSTALL

 ;)