Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:26:02 +0000
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for opinions: what is spam

On Tuesday,  6 November 2001 at 11:47:30 -0500, Bill Moran wrote:

(sorry, I've been travelling, and haven't had time to look at this
before).

> I've been having a tough couple of months and I just had some
> things happen today that are causing me to re-evaluate some of
> my beliefs.
>
> One thing, central to this, is where do you draw the line
> between promotion and spam?
>
> I'll give the example that really got me thinking:
>
> Got an email today through the "moreinfo@" address for my
> company, which is listed on the web site on the contact
> page.  The email stated that "I got your email from a
> list server".
> Now, technically this is a lie, because the "moreinfo@" address
> is _never_ used to _send_ mail, so it would never appear on
> any list server.

That depends on whether the mail sender got the name from a From:
line, or whether he found it in the body of some other message, as you
go on to say.  A priori I'd say this could be correct.

> I can see what _might_ have been done, however.  Notice my
> sig below.  Now, that'll be on list servers for any list I post
> to and this guy may have stopped by the web site, checked out
> the contact page for the address, and sent me the mail.
>
> So my first question is: "Is this spam?"

You haven't said what the message was.  If I get the intention
correctly, your moreinfo@ address is for asking questions.  If this
was a (even marginally relevant) question, then it was a valid use of
the address.  If it was advertising of any kind, then it probably
wasn't.  If it was sent indiscriminately to a large list, it's spam.
Note that this doesn't have very much to do with where they got the
address from.

> An example is that I recently posted to the jobs@freebsd.com list an
> announcement about my company and that we're seeking new customers.
> To me, that's what that particular list is for.  I would never have
> posted such an announcement to questions@ or any other FreeBSD list.
> I received one complaint that it was an inapprorpiate posting, and
> while I don't know how many people subscribe to that list, I'm
> assuming that that's a pretty low percentage that I offended.

Given the amount of completely untargetted spam around, I think that
"even marginally relevant" is a reasonable criterion.  I didn't see
the message, but if it's offering some kind of service, I can't see
any reason to distinguish between employment and other ways of
offering this service.  Certainly people looking for the service would
have less interest in the distinction.

Greg