Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 19:49:19 -0400
From:      "Ingram, Russell" <RI122065@exchange.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   NFS performance problem

I just recently moved my NFS services to a 4.2 FreeBSD system. It was
crashing on the 3.3 FreeBSD system that was supporting file service before.
It doesn't crash now, but, I'm getting "rtss09: no NFS service" messages on
the client machines intermittently when trying to access the NFS filesystems
on FreeBSD 4.2(rtss09).

I'm wondering if I need to boost the number of nfsd's or increase the
nfs_access_cache? If so how much do I increase this? It is unclear from the
man page how many simultaneous exported filesystems each nfsd supports. I
can't afford to reboot this system more then once or twice to get this
right.

Background:
I'm serving up 9 NFS file systems to 7 unix systems (2 Suns, 1 BSD, and 4 .
This is about 30 Gig of files in the filesystems. I use automounters to
mount the NFS filesystems. All of the unix systems are running under program
control. The FreeBSD system is a dual 750 MHZ Xeon based system (Gigs of
RAM) with Intel Ethernet adapters on a switched 100 MBIT network. When this
was hosted on 3.3 BSD system I never saw NFS not responding, but then it's
been crashing more and more often. I always assumed this was caused by the
network problems that were present on the flooded 10 base T network this 3.3
BSD system was living on. The 3.3 system only had the default 4 nfsd's the
same as the 4.2 BSD system.

nfsstat output:

Server Info:
  Getattr   Setattr    Lookup  Readlink      Read     Write    Create
Remove
   669383     14004   1052705         0    935722    790838    178602
168567
   Rename      Link   Symlink     Mkdir     Rmdir   Readdir  RdirPlus
Access
      811         0         0      2832      2654     21197     13034
398433
    Mknod    Fsstat    Fsinfo  PathConf    Commit    GLease    Vacate
Evict
        0     21959       310       109    226076         0         0
0
Server Ret-Failed
           412317
Server Faults
            0
Server Cache Stats:
   Inprog      Idem  Non-idem    Misses
      183    216950    176655   4098547
Server Lease Stats:
   Leases     PeakL   GLeases
        0         0         0
Server Write Gathering:
 WriteOps  WriteRPC   Opsaved
   790800    790838        38

Any direction that would help me solve this would be appreciated and would
help reestablish the BSD systems as the most reliable of all the systems we
use.

Russell Ingram x2758
(858)485-2758  VP-440-2758
Russell.Ingram@sandiegoca.ncr.com