Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:43:02 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stability and versions - was Re: Let 3.x die ASAP?

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, J McKitrick wrote:
> "STABLE" refers to the code base, NOT the stability of systems running
> it.
> Simple concept, deep meaning.  Newbies should understand  ...

And therein lies the problem. Newbies don't understand much of anything
about this (or any other) project. The approach with the "common English",
(or French, German, etc.) point of view. If they, for whatever reason, select
an inappropriate branch, they are very likely to conclude that FreeBSD is
a "toy" or otherwise non-serious project and turn their attention to another
system. This further hurts FreeBSD because they will also spread word of
their poor experience to others.

As has often been said, "You only get one chance to make a good first
impression". Unless the developers wake up and realize that "market share"
is important and take steps to improve it, FreeBSD will continue to be a "back
water" inconsequential sand box. We desperately need more companies to
consider FreeBSD as their first choice for corporate servers.
Market share is significantly affected by first impressions. We need to do
EVERYTHING possible to make that first experience a good one --
Especially when it doesn't affect the ultimate performance of the system.

Quit thinking of FreeBSD from the developer's point of view. Think of it
from the new user's viewpoint. Give them what they expect. The developers
are better capable of adapting. And any "fossils" who want to argue "we've
always done it that way" need to move over. OS's today are not what they
were five, much less thirty, years ago. If you want things like they used to be,
stick with BSD 4.4 (if you can still find any hardware to run it) and program
in COBOL.