Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 08:31:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason Nugent <malhavoc@stomped.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   More on the NFS issue

Hi, folks,

Yeap, I'm still fiddling with this.  I've discovered even more interesting
things.

If you recall, I was having difficulty getting my NFS partitions to mount
correctly after upgrading to the latest 4.3-STABLE.  My latest experiment
was to see if IPFW was causing problems, so I performed the following
steps:

1.  I re-cvsup'ped the latest 4.3-stable source, and created a new kernel
config file called TEST that was essentially a direct copy of GENERIC.
The only thing I changed was the IDENT and the MAXUSERS.

2.  I did a new make buildworld and make buildkernel using my test kernel.
I then performed a make installkernel with this new kernel.  I did -not-
perform a make installworld.

3.  I rebooted the machine from my terminal server and watched, with a
certain amount of glee, as it booted up with no errors.  I shelled in, and
made sure all my partitions were mounted.  I was happy.

4.  I found something quite interesting at that point.  You see, I had
left my old firewall rules in /etc/rc.firewall. I had also left my
firewall_enable="yes" and firewall_type="client" config options in
/etc/rc.conf.  What surprised me, therefore, was that all my rules were
loaded and active, and working (I tested my rules from various other
machines, and used ipfw to add and remove them).

But, I thought I had removed all IPFW support from my test kernel? It was
a copy of GENERIC?

So, my  question is, why would my rules still be working? I realize
that I had left things turned on in my config file, but I was expecting
those options to cause errors since IPFW was turned off in my test kernel.

Regards,

Jason

Jason Nugent
Aka MalHavoc