Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 10:43:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      slava <sl@zeus.dnt.md>
To:        "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd router with 4mb RAM and two eth.

I killed cron and syslogd on that machine and I keep only inetd
for telnet. I also have DUMMYNET compiled into the kernel.
I shape the bandwidth for traffic going out to the LAN to 64Kbit/s.
With this configuration the router works ok for a few hours, i can
telnet to it. After some time when I try to telnet again to it
it won't give me a login promt and would stop forwarding the packets
between interfaces at the same moment. It looks like it suffocates.
I can still ping the external ethernet card though. Only a cold reboot
can bring it back to life.

I guess I will have to try a kernel without dummynet. Could it be because
of the dummynet not being able to work on 4mb RAM?

slava.