Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 23:06:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <dga@pobox.com>
To:        Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.Gov.AU (Stanley Hopcroft)
Cc:        Security@FreeBSD.ORG, Carl.Makin@IPAustralia.Gov.AU (Carl Makin), shaddon@IPAustralia.Gov.AU
Subject:   Re: What is this and how do I control it ?

Lo and behold, Stanley Hopcroft once said:

> Trying 10.0.100.252...
> Connected to tsitc.aipo.gov.au.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Trying SRA secure login:
> User (anwsmh):
>
> What does this mean and how do I manage it ?

  It's exactly what it seems - it's a secure login protocol.  SRA is
secure RPC authentication mechanism based on diffie-hellman.  What do you
mean by "manage?"

> This telnet client, ktelnet 0.61 seems to negotiate the telnet
> authentication and encryption options by itself (!) but the FreeBSD
> telnet, invoked from an rxvt does not get this distinctive SRA secure
> login prompt.

  telnet -a <host>

will enable authentication.  You can accomplish the sme thing
automatically by putting:

host
	set autologin on

in your .telnetrc file

> What means of authentication do they use ?

   SRA.

> This is great, but I would like to know what is happening and how to
> reliably reproduce it eg from rxvts on the same client host, from
> ktelnet 0.61 on another machine.

  Yup.  See above.

   -Dave

--