Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 11:30:32 -0400
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        <lists@brenius.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Mark Rowlands" <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
Subject:   Re: Mylex RAID to Asus Symbios SCSI Card

On Tuesday, May 7, 2002, at 11:15 , <lists@brenius.com> wrote:

>> (1) put the mylex card back in!!!!!!!
>
> 1.) Not possible.
> "Controller is removed and is no longer available. Replacement is an
> Asus
> Symbios SCSI card which appears to be run at SCSI-3 (40MB/s)."
>
> Keywords are "no longer available."
>
> 2.) I am simply looking for resolutions with what I have. I am also
> trying
> to learn how to
> re-mount drives, etc. Besides, my scenario of a controller card failing
> and
> not being able
> to replace it with a replica cannot be that far fetched. Not all
> companies
> can afford to have
> duplicates of every peice of hardware, my apologies if they are suppose
> to.

I have a question on this.  Is it even possible?  I don't know the
details, but I seem to remember that each controller writes to the disk
in its own way so that another controller type (different brand of SCSI
controller) won't be able to read the disk or use it.  Anyone remember
what I am talking about?   I don't remember details -- this is from a
while ago that I have this memory...  (Seem to remember that, for
example, swapping out a symbios logic for an adaptec wouldn't work since
the low level controller stuff was not compatible)

best
Chad