Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 10:09:23 -0700
From:      olsenc@ichips.intel.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gcc i2.6.3???

Hello:

Today on the Linux newsgroups, I saw a post where someone found a modified
version of gcc - i2.6.3.  He said it was simple to compile on his Linux
box, and his system ran noticeably faster.

It would be really cool if FreeBSD had this compiler since it contains the
ability to do -pentium optimizations.  Intel released a hacked verison of
gcc a while back (i2.4.0) that contained much of the Proton compiler
optimizations.  Proton is the Intel reference compiler.  They were noticing
around 25% speedup at that time.  Unfortunately, they broke a few things in
that version, and the changes were not (to my knowledge) folded into the
general gcc release.  Someone else must be maintaining a parallel source
tree.

Anyway, I'm just scouting around for info since I saw the post.  I asked the
poster where he got the compiler.

-Clint