Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:12:24 -0500
From:      Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: port/ftp/mirror-2.9 "Out of memory!" message--some progress

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com> writes:
>

>>I'm getting an "Out of memory!" message from the mirror
>>(/usr/ports/ftp/mirror-2.9) port trying to update a large archive.
>>I've tried a number of things but I can't resolve this.
>>Any suggestions?
>

> hitting a limits(1) limit?

Lowell,
I've been playing with this on and off for a few days.
Your question, I think, put me onto something.
I've been rerunning the mirror command with top running.
mirror fails with the memory size around 520m consistantly.
Limits gives me a datasize limit of 524288kb.  (Close enough for me!)
I've come to the conclusion that the man page would benefit from some
examples.  I've been trying to raise the datasize limit but it does not
seem to take.

Example: limits -B -d 4g mirror.sh... still blows up with memory values,
from top, around 520m (give or take a little.)

You've gotten me looking in the right area.  All I have to do now is get
the override to work.  Can anybody provide any insights on how to
actually do this?
Cheers...

--
Try not.  Or.  Or do not.  There is no try.--Yoda