Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:17:35 +1000 (EST)
From:      robert@chalmers.com.au (Robert Chalmers)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   how do I set SCSI. update.

Thanks for the help everyone. I continue on the trail of this
beastie. The HDD is second hand, and here's what I have tried so far,
wit hmixed success. The Controller is fine. everything checks out.
The HDD is fine, it is verifying now.

The jumper pins had been soldered together into id#3 config. I split the
solder joints, so the pins are now free, and have ID#0. Silly me. I should
know that. So, now I discover that there are no terminators on the SCSI
board. The cable that came with the controller has multiple drops, and
a correct terminator on the end. The HDD docs indicate a number of
options related to terminator configuration, so I opted to take the
2+4 and 1+3 jumpered option, "Drive supplies power for external
terminator at end of the daisy-chain. Resistor paks must be removed"

It seems to fit the bill. The drive is responding to the SCSISelect
software accessed with the Ctl-A option, and is now Verifying the surface of the
drive.

So I live in hope. If it does that, surely the Install for FreeBSD will
find it????

thanks for the help
Bob
--
The China House					Sheng Huo Jiu Shi Dou Zheng
robert@chalmers.com.au for Whirled Peas		http://chalmers.com.au