Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:28:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>, FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to shutdown to single user in 4.0?

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> I discovered this by mistake several years ago when I typed
> 	kill 1 1

Yep, been there, done that.

As a result I now use kill -HUP instead of kill -1.  Too easy to typo the
former.

On a related note, I had a friend running Caldera Linux who's system
started doing weird things.  We discovered that for some reason the system
was running without init (or any process 1).   Don't ask me how, or why or
tell me it's not possible.   It even ended up that way after a
reboot.  What was weird is that you could log into the system in some ways
but not others - the console worked, and I believe FTP didn't.  Not sure
beyond that.

He re-installed and it fixed it.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) KD7EHZ