Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:05:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: supporting coda threads.

> (from john dyson)
> One of the middle-layer VM enhancements that I plan to add for 2.2 is
> true-shared address spaces.  Will this help?

well i think it depends on the level of threading, i.e. if you use
fork()+shared address space instead of threads and the context switch
overhead is too high maybe it won't work. That's why i'm wondering about
how much threading is going on. I'm going to grab the code this week at some
point and look around.

FYI: in the ZOUNDS DSM i wrote there is a little thing called filemalloc()
and filecalloc(). Works just like malloc/calloc, except it's in mmap'ed
files so you can have shared data across fork. This is a poor man's way
to implement "threads" for those systems without rfork().

ron