Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:53:46 -0600
From:      "Darryl Hoar" <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   X Configuration Question

Greetings,
I am running Freebsd 4.0 - release.  I have read the handbook and
followed along with the configuration steps.  I had my monitor
frequencies, and my exact video card was listed in the card db.

I have KDE installed.  My problem is that the screen is bigger than
the display.  xf86config never asked me:

You can have a virtual screen (desktop), which is screen area that is
larger than the physical screen and which is panned by moving the
mouse to the edge of the screen. If you don't want virtual desktop at
a certain resolution, you cannot have modes listed that are larger.
Each color depth can have a differently-sized virtual screen Please
answer the following question with either 'y' or 'n'.
Do you want a virtual screen that is larger than the physical screen?

I looked in the XF86Config file and found no reference to virtual
screen size.  How do I disable this ?

Also, the desktop displayed in KDE does not fill my monitor screen.
Wide black areas exist around the desktop.  How do I make it fill
the screen ?  I have a KVM that I switch between a Windows box and
my Freebsd box, so using the monitor controls to adjust and have to
do it again each time I switch, doesn't thrill me.

I had Linux on one of my machines, and it displayed the KDE desktop
full screen, so I know it can be done.

Lastly,
I get a boatload of "psmintr out of sync" error messages when I use
my KVM (Belkin Omni Cube with quality cables).  I searched the
mailing list, and read the responses, but found nothing definitive.
Some of the solutions I tried didn't do a thing.  Is there a solution?
Another Mouse, although cheap, wouldn't be an ideal solution.

thanks,
Darryl