Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:08:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: does SMP i386 work at all right now?

On 26-Feb-01 Matthew Jacob wrote:

> I finally realized I hadn't been running my 2xPPro box with SMP enabled for a
> month or so. The top of tree, with the exception of Jake's last fix, hangs:
>
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0a
> da0s1: type 0xa5, start 63, end = 8385929, size 8385867 : OK
> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> p/MsPb:i nC/PiUn1i taLiatu:n cted!
> ic_initialize():
>      lint0: 0x00010700 lint1: 0x00010400 TPR: 0x00000010 SVR: 0x000001ff
> swapon: adding /dev/da0b as swap device
> Automatic boot in progress...
>
> (note the mangeld serial output)

It's not mangled per se, it's a panic message frome one CPU while the other CPU
was initializing.  It looks like using a serial console exacerbated the race on
the kernel console output and ended up dropping characters.  Of the
'SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!' message you seem to have 'MP: CPU1 Launced!' with
'p/sbin/initaittic_initialize()' mixed in with it.  Hmm, are you booting
verbose?

Hmm, a verbose boot on my dual 600 with a non-serial console has this:

SMP: AP CPU #1 Lstart_init: trying /sbin/init
uanched!
SMP: CPU1 apic_initialize():

So perhaps it is not panicing, but just the usual console mangling resulting
from multiple processors writing to the kernel console at the same time.  I'm
not sure why it hangs for you though..

> Is this supposed to work right now?

Yes.