Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:01:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@casidy.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/32166: Installing avifile emphasizes problems with autoconf and automake

>Number:         32166
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Installing avifile emphasizes problems with autoconf and automake
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD greatoak.home 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Fri Nov 16 23:01:33 CET 2001 root@greatoak.home:/home/nobackup/obj/home/nobackup/src/sys/GREATOAK i386

	While installing avifile, it requests particulars versions of some ports and use
	others. Therefore, it requires to have two versions of the same port with
	pending conflicts.
	This port explicitly requires devel/automake14 and devel/autoconf213 whereas
	it uses devel/automake and devel/autoconf but I think it is not related to
	this port.
>How-To-Repeat:
	Try to install graphics/avifile while the following ports are installed
	 devel/automake [ I have automake-1.5,1 ]
	 devel/autoconf	[ I have autoconf-2.13.000227 ]
	and these ones are not installed
	 devel/automake14
	 devel/autoconf213

	The 'make install' action reports
	===>   avifile-0.60.20010920 depends on executable: automake14 - not found

	So, install automake14 and deinstall automake.

	'make install' to continue for avifile port
	===>   avifile-0.60.20010920 depends on executable: autoconf213 - not found

	Again, I deinstall devel/autoconf to install devel/autoconf213

	Let's try again with 'make install' for avifile port.
	It is happy with all dependances but fails because:
	aclocal: not found

	aclocal seems to be part of devel/automake whereas devel/automake14 install aclocal14.
	So I need to install both ports.

	1ST PROBLEM: both ports installs the file info/automake.info (have a look at the pkg-plist files).

	Let's try it anyway : install both ports and go on with the installation of avifile there will be
	a small problem if one of the ports is deinstall (i.e.: MD5, non-existing file...). Anyway, I do
	not use infos... yet.
	**Error**: You must have `autoconf' installed .

	Same problem with autoconf. Remember? Removed autoconf to install autoconf14 earlier...

	2ND PROBLEM: same problem as for automake