Date:      Sat, 07 Dec 1996 16:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Gregory_D_Moncreaff@ccmail.ed.ray.com
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: FreeBSD 2.1: panic: vm_page_free: invalid wire count

     I don't understand why it would show up now, and only
     on one of the 6 machines I have running the same verion
     of FreeBSD.

     Re the 2.1.6.1R version, has Walnut Creek got that on CDROM yet,
     their page says 2.1.5 is the version they have...

     thanks, G

Author:  dg@root.com at PMDF
Date:    12/7/96 2:57 PM

   There was a bug in 2.1 that would cause this when doing certain physio. It
usually didn't show up with fsck, however, but probably could given the
right conditions. It was fixed in rev 1.17 of kern_physio.c:

----------------------------
revision 1.17
date: 1996/06/26 05:52:15;  author: dyson;  state: Exp;  lines: +11 -6
Fix a problem that caused system crashes after physio.  This problem
was due to non-aligned 64K transfers taking 17 pages.  We currently
do not support >16 page transfers.  The transfer is unfortunately truncated,
but since buffers are usually malloced, this is a problem only once in
a while.  Savecore is a culprit, but tar/cpio usually aren't.  This
is NOT the final fix (which is likely a bouncing scheme), but will at
least keep the system from crashing.

   Your best solution is to upgrade to 2.1.6; we've fixed a lot of bugs like
this since 2.1.

-DG

David Greenman