Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 14:20:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        dstenn@fanfic.org, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error while compiling sound support for SB PnP AWE64.

> hmmmm
>
> you are using the wrong drivers for your sound card, the voxware probably
> won't work correctly with a PnP card, i suggest you look in the lint at the
> PCM driver, it's Luigi's code that does plug and play, it's also a bit more
> functional is certain areas.
>
> if you WANT pain, you can try the voxware drivers, but you need to add a
> device "sbmidi" to your kernel config.
>
> but, uh... do we have mmap() buffers yet Luigi?

mmapped buffers have been there for a long time.

Of course, what you really want to know is if there is any
synchronization mechanism associated with them and the answer is
no, i am afraid...

I am pretty sure you can simulate what you need in user space (or
in the linux emulation code perhaps) with the current mechanism,
but i am leaving the task to those with a need for this feature.

	cheers
	luigi