Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 22:12:52 -0700
From:      Justin Lundy <jbl@subterrain.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA GeForce4 440 GoTM  video controller with 64MB

Of interest to you will be the FreeBSD NVIDIA Driver Initiative web site.
They provide documentation and downloads for using the Linux NVIDIA
drivers under emulation mode as well as a native driver which is only
lacking 3D support.

http://nvidia.netexplorer.org/

--jbl

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 05:42:23PM -0400, MET wrote:
> I just bought a new Dell laptop, Inspiron 8200.  I'm trying to install
> XFree86 and KDE 3.0.  So here's what I've done.  I've installed FBSD
> 4.6.2 which installs XFree86 4.2.0.  At the end of install it asks me if
> I want to configure the X Server, so I say yes.  The screen goes blank
> as if its attempting to load the gray background w/ the mouse we've all
> seen before.  However, it goes nuts with some blue-ish shacking thing.
> I quickly press ctrl-alt-backspace which safely returns me to the CUI.
> Not knowing how to fix this I sent a similar questions to
> freebsd-questions and wasn't able to get specific responses, but I was
> suggested to go to this mailing list (so here I am).
>
> So I'm at a stand still...how do I get XFree86 to work if I can't even
> configure it?  Someone on the questions list suggested that the correct
> NVIDIA drivers probably aren't installed, if so, I noticed that NVIDIA
> does offer Linux drivers for my card...should I install those?  And if
> so....how?
>
> Please someone help!!  I don't want to use Windows...or even Linux for
> that matter.
>
> ~ Matthew
>
> P.S.  I did get KDE 3 built and installed properly, but naturally I
> can't view it.

--jbl [subterrain / techitch]
--email : jbl@subterrain.net