Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 19:49:27 -0500
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Thomas =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6llmann?= <koellmann@gmx.net>
Cc:        Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New kernel with its ATA drivers damages the filesystem

Thomas Köllmann wrote:

> Grigoriy Strokin wrote/schrieb (Friday, March 31, 2000):
>
> | While the bug wiping out filesystems on machines with Apollo MVP3 when ATA
> | driver is in UDMA mode is being fixed, I suppose there at least should be some
> | note added to /usr/src/UPDATING, so that another users do not loss
> | all their data and have to reinitialize /usr and restore it from backup, as I
> | had to do?
> |
> | Something like that:
> |
> |     If you use the Apollo MVP3 chipset, it is STRONGLY
> |     recommended that you disable the use of DMA mode in ATA drivers
> |     BEFORE you try to boot the system after `make installkernel'.
> |     Add the following line:
> |       /sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio
> |     to the very beginning of your /etc/rc,
> |     ~root/.profile and ~root/.login.
> |     Be warned that if you don't disable the DMA mode,
> |     all your filesystems may be corrupted because
> |     of a bug in the driver that is still being fixed.
> |

> Please excuse if this was mentioned before (I did not follow this
> thread very closely), but isn't _not_ using
>
>         options         ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA
>
> enough as a measure of precaution?
>
> This is from LINT:
>
> # ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA: enable DMA on ATAPI device, since many ATAPI
> # devices claim to support DMA but doesn't actually work, this is
> # not enabled as default.
>
> Gruß
>  - Thomas

I missed the first part of this thread but I wish I hadn't cause my filesystem
has been trashed twice in as many days. The first time I was doing 'chown -R'
and the kernel paniced, rebooted to lots of fsck errors. Not only was the
directory I was chown'ing trashed, but several others as well (/usr/src,
/usr/ports). Then second time I was doing 'rm -r' and the same thing happened,
but I lost most of my home dir too.

I have a P3-600 on an Asus P3B-F with a Maxtor 20GB HDD(UDMA/33). Everything
worked fine under 3.4.

Thanks,
Brandon

--