Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:14:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Danial Thom <danial_thom@yahoo.com>
To:        "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: migrating to 64-bit

--- "Michael P. Soulier"
<msoulier@digitaltorque.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently got an ia64 box at work, and I threw
> my i386 freebsd 5.4 on it.
> Now, is there a way to rebuild world with
> 64-bit support from there?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Everything I've tested runs slower in 64-bit mode
(mainly because of kernel clunkiness), so if you
don't need the long pointers you might want to
re-think your proposed adventure. I believe that
since everything is bigger in 64-bit mode, things
fall out of the cpu cache a lot faster, and there
is a significant different in performance in and
out of the cache.

DT