Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2003 03:20:06 -0600
From:      "Stephane Raimbault" <segr@hotmail.com>
To:        <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.1-R kernel panic

Thanks for getting back to me regarding that point Scott.

I recently realized that I was miss-understanding how much free memory I had
on the system, and I doubt I even need the full 4Gig's.

Perhaps I can re-confirm how to check how much free real memory is available
on the system.

Looking at the top command, add the Inact and Free memory?

Mem: 180M Active, 499M Inact, 213M Wired, 76K Cache, 112M Buf, 2999M Free

so in this case, 3498 actual free memory?  Or is there a more accurate way
in determining how much memory is left in the system to be used... basically
I'm trying to find the indicator I should be monitoring that should tell me
if I need to add more ram to the system then I currently have.

Thanks,
Stephane.