Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 17:49:20 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, street@iName.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel build error under ELF

>Yes, I've seen a report of this. The suggestion was to build genassym
>with the installed object format. To do this the flags need to be
>set so that they don't contain the -aout argument. It will be 24 hrs
>before I can spend any time on this.

genassym (and linux_genassym) should be built by the target compiler
(target = system that will run the kernel) yet must run on the host
system and use the host stdio.  This is impossible in general.  The
"compiler" should somehow be switched after compiling to assembler
or object code.  E.g., perhaps everything can be encoded into stabs
which can easily be interpreted after printing them using nm -a.

Bruce