Date:      Thu, 07 Jan 1999 02:47:20 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@speck.ml.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cannot load any lkm with ELF kernel

"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:
> "Chris D. Faulhaber" wrote:
> >
> > That would be because (correct me if I'm wrong) lkm's are a.out.  With an
> > elf kernel, use dynamically-linkable modules (kld's) located in /modules.
> > man kldload/kldunload/kldstat for usage.
>
> A previous message gave me the impression that you can still load
> a.out lkms with elf kernels (thus protecting third-party a.out
> module's investment). More likely, I'd think is that FreeBSD doesn't
> come with lkm's anymore, having all been replaced by lkds.

If people are worried about OSS, I've been talking to them and have
suggested some sample code and given them a few hints.  If things work out,
there should have a KLD OSS module within a couple of days.

KLD modules of either format can be loaded on either format kernel.  LKM's
cannot.

> Possibly, a revision problem exists that prevent the old lkms
> installed from being loaded.

Yes. It's quite likely that any old LKM's laying around would need to be
recompiled soon anyway, depending on whether the shared signal stuff is
cleaned up and becomes default so that we can support kernel-assisted
threads.

Cheers,
-Peter