Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 13:00:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        lehey.pad@sni.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to develop software and track current?

> I'm currently about to start some active work on the ISDN software,
> and I face a problem: I'm also tracking -current.  How to I ensure
> that I get my updates to -current and also maintain the modifications
> I make to the ISDN software?  The problem is compounded by the fact
> that I don't get on very well with cvs, so if the following text
> contains nonsense, please be nice :-) I can see a number of
> possibilities:
>
> 1.  Create a new cvs tag, say "2.2-CURRENT-grog", and put all my
>     changes there.  The problem I anticipate here are that I won't be
>     able to automatically track the ctm updates.
>
> 2.  Check my changes in to 2.2-CURRENT every evening.  This seems to
>     have a number of potential problems: first, if I forget to check
>     in, I lose my updates, and secondly, somebody else might check in
>     files which I have changed.  Presumably the latter action would
>     cause the cvs update to blow up.
>
> 3.  Create a new directory outside the control of cvs.  This sounds
>     like a real kludge.
>
> This is obviously a problem that a lot of people have already solved,
> at least to their own satisfaction.  If we can come up with a clean,
> consistent way of doing it, I'll gladly contribute some documentation
> on the subject.

Soloutions 1 & 2 are only available if you have commit priviledges.

Soloution 3 is silly.

The typical way you do this without committing is to sup the CVS tree
on a nightly basis.

You checkout a local copy of the tree, and build there.

You make your mods in the checked out tree.

You use "cvs update" and "cvs diff".

You submit patch sets vs. a merged tree as you see opportunities to
have them reviewed by people who do have commit privs.

When they are committed. the local diffs involved go away after the
update following the commit.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---