Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 16:51:56 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Where is the documentation for ibcs2?

> I still think that it's possible to derive benefit from the sea of SCO
> apps out there, even without a working install.  Yes, it's harder, but
> it may also prove in many instances to make the difference between
> letting a developer keep FreeBSD on his work PC or having his boss
> demand he load SCO so that he can run some commercial app of import to
> the company.

FWIW, we (SRI) are currently to the stage where we are in the beginning
stages of selling software that uses FreeBSD as the base OS.  However,
our software was developed on SCO boxes running SCO-Informix.  Using the
emulator in -current, we now have a complete running environment of our
sofware w/out *any* SCO shlibs.  It took alot of phone calls to Informix
sales staff plus some calls to their technical staff, but we finally got
a static version of Informix.

SCO emulation on FreeBSD is a *huge* winner for us, as we couldn't go to
market without it.

> [insert picture of a sad eyed programmer sitting at a PC running SCO,
>  looking dolefully at the camera]

Heck, we've got pictures of me staring sadly at a SCO box if you'd like
to use them. *grin*

Nate