Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2013 15:45:26 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Youtube & Flash Videos broken?

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:05:19 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> If users would stop visiting bad programmed sites, we would get better
> programmed websites, so IMO we shouldn't fix the issues others cause,
> it's their task to fix their websites.

There's hope in browsers implementing the "Flash"-like
functionalities using HTML5, which has become important
due to the growing markets in tablets and smartphones
(the "mobile web" where "Flash" doesn't play a significant
role). One of the problems is media codecs (where lawyers
fight), another one is the availability of design and
development environments for "non-technical" users who
normally use pirated copies of some "Adobe" programs
to create "Flash" content for (or instead of) HTML-based
web pages. Those who actually _pay_ for their tools often
tend to deliver a much better user experience even by
using "Flash". As I said, it's just a tool, but a tool
by itself doesn't get the work done, you need to properly
use it. "Flash" is already on its way into the coffin,
it will be much more profitable (and essential to stay
in business) to publish content in a more portable way.
In my opinion, HTML5 is the way to go, as soon as they
got the mentioned main problems out of the way.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany