Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:16:31 -0800
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org, audit@freebsd.org, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extending loader(8) for loading kerels/modules split across several disks

> Michael Smith wrote:
> > Should you care to be informed rather than playing from the sidelines,
> > see the primitive 'stacking' used to implement transparent gzipped file
> > support in libstand.
>
> The only place this is referred to as a "stack" at all is in
> one comment in the libstand.3 man page, which hardly excuses
> you ripping me a new one.

So because I called it a "stack" I *must* have been referring to the
kernel, not actually the loader (since that's only mentioned in the
subject line and implicitly throughout my message)?

Get real, Terry.

> Also the way the operations are encapsulated (not stacked,
> since a stack could be reordered) is by directly calling
> "read", rather than calling through a "stack".

This is an implementation detail.

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not