Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 16:42:39 +0100
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Target busy and other errors

[Fun day.  This is a different machine.]

I upgraded another machine here to 2.2-STABLE this morning.  It was
running 2.2-GAMMA and was giving the odd SCSI error.  The machine only
stayed up a few hours before hanging completely.  Symptoms were a
burst of "sd0(ahc0:0:0): Target Busy" errors then a burst of other
stuff about SCBs and so on, before a panic on freeing a free inode and
a hang (with more SCB stuff) after the syncing disk message.  (Sorry I
don't have more info, but the machine was important and was rebooted
before I got a chance to write things down.)

In the past under 2.2-GAMMA, I've seen other errors, like overlapped
command errors (but usually after a target busy), and timeouts of the
sort that 2.2-STABLE is supposed to fix.

The errors are always on sd0, so I'm wondering if it's specific to the
disk or controller.  sd0 is an internal narrow Barracuda on its own on
a motherboard controller in a HP Vectra XU.  External terminator.
FreeBSD identifies:
ahc0 <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 9 on pci0:2
ahc0: Using left over BIOS settings
aic7880 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

There are also two 2940UWs and a bunch of external Atlas II-UWs that give
no problems that I've seen.  But sd0 probably bursts busier.  Backups
appear to be particular causes of lockups.

I've moved back to 2.2-GAMMA for the moment, as it's never locked up
in the same way, though the errors sometimes cause paging errors and
process crashes.
--
Alan Judge					Phone: +353-1-6046901
Indigo Internet Services			Fax:   +353-1-6046948