Date:      24 Oct 1998 20:13:08 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Does my SB128(PCI) work?

OK, I know the subject sounds strange.

I have a system running 3.0-current as of a couple hours ago.  The
motherboard is an Intel DK440LX, which has a built in sound card that
doesn't seem to work.  Sound comes out, but doesn't seem to want to go
in at an audiable volume.  I tested the Mic on another system, it
works.  I tried swapping where the mic was plugged in: nada.

I finally decided that perhaps the sound drivers on the motherboard
were hosed, and to just buy a sound blaster board.  So I now have a SB
128, which is the only PCI card there.

The problem is, I can't seem to prove that the new board works!

% tail -f /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp
tail: /dev/dsp: Device busy

Trying a game (xgalaga) that is supposed to make sound, well, things
are awefully quiet.

Help?

Some info that might help:

The sound stuff from my kernel config:
# Sound
controller      snd0
#device         pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330

Which seems to work:
% dmesg:
sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.2>
sbxvi0 not found
sbmidi0 not found at 0x330

cat /dev/sndstat:
VoxWare Sound Driver:3.5-alpha15-970902 (Wed Aug  6 22:58:35 PDT 1997 Amancio Hasty@rah.star-gate.com)
Config options:

Installed drivers:
Type 2: SoundBlaster
Type 6: SoundBlaster16
Type 7: SB16 MIDI

Card config:
SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
(SoundBlaster16 at 0xffffffff irq 1 drq 5)
(SB16 MIDI at 0x330 irq 1)

Audio devices:
0: SoundBlaster Pro 3.2

Synth devices:

Midi devices:
0: SoundBlaster

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: SoundBlaster

+C
--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?
Please read this first: <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com        <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;