Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:35:18 +0400
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bruno Afonso <brunomiguel@dequim.ist.utl.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@FreeBSD.org, Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ALTQ and PPP access concentrator

  Bruno,

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 02:06:44PM -0400, Bruno Afonso wrote:
B> I've been recently "invited" (I mean, I was the only guy they knew that
B> had fbsd experience :> ) to setup a pppoe server for a 20+ user base of
B> wifi users. basically, we're using pppoe server from freebsd and a
B> radius server for user authentication.
B>
B> there's a document explaining how to do this using ipfw and this uses
B> ppp.linkup and ppp.linkdown to invoke scripts. Things get harder with pf
B> + altq (I'm using cbq on tunX interfaces and hfsc on outgoing - read
B> upload - interface). The way I've set it up was to create a script that
B> reads a file that has listed all users on each interface and it
B> generates the pf.conf. This was the only way I found to generate altq
B> setup lines for each tunX interface.
B>
B> In a perfect world, one would do:
B>
B> altq on tun* ...
B>
B> This could for example be the DEFAULT altq setup instead a user would
B> explicitly use
B>
B> altq on tun0 ..
B>
B>
B> Having said this, it wouldn't help my setup too much since we have 3 to
B> 4 classes of users and each has different bw priviledges so we always
B> need to have a script... :-)

Ideal solution would be when ALTQ (and probably pf) configuration is
not changed in one commit, but altered on per interface basis. This will
allow us to change only one users traffic bandwidth configuration,
without resetting bandwidth settings on all other interfaces. And this
is required if we want to store bandwidth parameters in RADIUS.

P.S. Please, don't top quote.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE