Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:03:21 +0000
From:      Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>
To:        Bruce Petro <bpetro@usa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Attaching to new Cable Modem

Out of the ether, Bruce Petro spewed forth the following bitstream:
> Any one have some help for this?  I don't see a
> section in gregg's book on this (though mine
> might be an old ver)- I mostly see serial info.
>
> This is new (Time Warner's road runner) and according
> to the setup appears to be not a serial conn at all.
> (the cable modem that is).

All you need to do is configure your ethernet interface to use DHCP.

To do this, add the following line to your /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"

(replacing xl0 with whatever interface you use).

Should work "right out of the box".

AlanC