Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:32:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "Heller, David" <dheller@rwd.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Support'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Sorting Problem

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Heller, David wrote:
> I am trying to sort a sendmail aliases file.  I would like to sort
> each line on the second character of the first field.  The results are
> always sorted on the first character of the first field.  The version
> of sort is GNU 1.9.
>
> Each line in the aliases file looks like this:
>
> jdoe:jdoe@columbia.rwd.com

sort +0.1 -0.2 aliases

Will sort based on only the second character of the first field.
If you leave off the -0.2 then it will sort starting with the
second character.

Position is (can be) a two part value.  To the left of the
decimal point is the field number, to the right the character
position.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com