Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 02:39:50 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, ck@toplink.net
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Going gaga over Cyclades board

>> >we've been trying to wire up a cyclades 1400 based pccom 8 /port serial
>> >adapter under FreeBSD 2.1r.
>>
>> Which model number exactly?  Old 8Yo boards have problems on some PCI

>It's not a genuine cyclom board.  The board  is an ISA 8 port  (2 x CD1400,
>DB25 connectors) from a manufacturer called PCCom.   The PC in question
>has an asus pentium/tri motherboard.  Do you think I should try sticking
>the serial card into a plain ISA Mainboard ?

The PCI problem is probably unique to the Cyclades board.

A 1400-based board is unlikely to work if it doesn't claim compatibility
with the Cyclades.  Note that the 1400 is a Cirrus chip, not a Cyclades
chip.  It requires more off-chip support than an 8250..16550, and it
isn't as standard, so a 1400-based board is unlikely to use exactly the
same bus interface as the Cyclades.  One of the Stallion boards uses
cd1400's but has its own driver.

>Thanks for the tip. This is what pstat gets when I cu to the ports
>cuac0 has a modem connected to it cuac1 does not (dangling cable).
>I have had the card at irq 12 and irq 15 and at d8000,da000,dc000 all
>with the same effect.  Characters end up in the output queue but don't
>get sent out.

>	16 cy lines
>	  LINE RAW CAN OUT  HWT LWT     COL STATE  SESS  PGID DISC
>	  cuac0  0   0  14 1296 256      16 OCcB      0     0 term
>	  cuac1  0   0   7 1296 256       9 OCcB      0     0 term

This is exactly what happens when I connect to a Cyclades port that
isn't connected to anything.

The board must be fairly compatible for you to get as far as open.

Other things to try:
- look at the interrupt counts using vmstat -i.
- open the port in CLOCAL mode so that output should work even when
  nothing is connected.  Then look at the interrupt counts.
- attempt to open the dialout port and on a local line with carrier
  connected.  If it gets past open then it must have detected carrier.

Bruce