Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:20:22 +0100
From:      "Pål Sommerhein" <paalsom@ifi.uio.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Correct permissions for /var and /var/tmp?

Hi
I wonder what are the correct permissions for the /var and /var/tmp directories?
I have the following at present:

	lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  8 10 jan 16:41 /var -> /usr/var
	drwxr-xr-x  18 root  wheel   512 10 jan 16:28 var
	drwxrwxrwt  3 bin     bin     512 10 jan 22:12 tmp

Background for this:
-------------------
I had to change the permission for /var/tmp from (drwxr-xr-t) to (drwxrwxrwt)
in order to get my keyboard working properly while using XFree86333 for
regular users. XFree86 gave me the following error message:

    The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
    >Error:     Cannot open "/var/tmp/server-0.xkm to write keyboard description
    >         Exiting
    Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap.

The root user does not get this message when starting X.
I am running a fresh 2.2.8-RELEASE with XFree86 version 3.3.3.

Any help appreciated.

Best regards,
Paal Sommerhein