Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:00:06 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for change to /etc/rc script

    Damien> I would disagree with you there. We do not want to have
    Damien> root password files on hundreds of thin client
    Damien> workstations, if we have to change the root password for
    Damien> those workstations, we want to change it once.

The way I dealt with this when setting up our labs was to maintain
a local root fs and NFS mount the rest, with NIS for passwd and group.
At boot time, after the network link was establsihed but before full
multiuser, we ran a locally written program that connected to a central
server and updated various things, including /etc/{passwd,group}. This
meant we could boot single user from the workstation without a network
(useful for dealing with network debugging issues) and without a
boot floppy (which let us disable floppy boot altogether). As a
bonus, we didn't have the root password flying around the network
via NIS for the kiddies to see (not that they would have been able
to crack it with dictionary attacks or the like).

Changing the root password (or anything on the root filesystem) was
a simple matter of changing the file in the central reference image.

--lyndon