Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:38:53 +0000
From:      Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk (Dominic Mitchell)
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Streamlining FreeBSD Installations

On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 07:51:28AM -0500, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> Someone mentioned that sysinstall could be scripted... is this the way
> to go, then?

It's one way to go, although it's not as good as Solaris' JumpStart
(although that has faults of it's own...).  For a quick example look in
/usr/src/release/sysinstall/install.cfg.  There's a manual page in the
same directory describing how it works (roughly).  As far as I can tell
from the documentation (I've never actually needed to do an automated
FreeBSD install yet), you boot the usual kern & mfsroot floppies, then
select "load config file", at which point you insert the floppy with
install.cfg on it.

You'll probably need a bit of time to get it working, but it's a start.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

	MCSE -- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert